NVQ Qualification Overview
The OCR Level 5 Diploma NVQ in Occupational Health and Safety Practice is suitable for those Supervisors, Managers and Consultants and other specialists with specific responsibilities for the health, safety and welfare of others in the organisation. As a result the candidate will have a significant degree of authority and autonomy and be in a position to influence policies and procedures in their organisation, take a leadership role and promote good health and safety practice and to implement changes relating to health and safety.
Candidate will report to, or be part of, the senior management team and they will be aware of cost implications and budgetary controls or may be budget holders.
To achieve the full NVQ/SVQ Level 5 Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety Practice qualification, a candidate must demonstrate their competency, knowledge and understanding by completing the ten mandatory units. This qualification allows candidates to learn, develop and practise the skills required for employment and/or career progression in the health and safety sector.
NVQ Qualification Units
All 10 units are required.
- Unit 1 — Promote a positive health and safety culture
- Unit 2 — Develop and implement the health and safety policy
- Unit 3 — Develop and implement effective communication systems for health and safety information
- Unit 4 — Develop and maintain individual and organisational competence in health and safety matters
- Unit 5 — Identify, assess and control health and safety risks
- Unit 6 — Develop and implement proactive monitoring systems for health and safety
- Unit 7 — Develop and implement reactive monitoring systems for health and safety
- Unit 8 — Develop and implement health and safety emergency response systems and procedures
- Unit 9 — Develop and implement health and safety review systems
- Unit 10 — Maintain knowledge of improvements to influence health and safety practice
NVQ Qualification Duration
3 – 24 Months (Average completion 9 – 12 months)
- NVQ/SVQ Level 5 Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety Practice
- Dip.RSA may be used after your name (Diploma as recognised by the Royal Society of Arts)
Memberships to Professional Bodies:
- Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (upon application)
Upon successful completion of the City & Guilds NVQ/SVQ Level 5 Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety Practice qualification, a candidate may apply to the Institute of Occupational Safety & Health (IOSH) for membership at Graduate level membership (GradIOSH), and upon completion of an open book assessment and a minimum of 2 years Initial professional Development (IPD), candidates can achieve Chartered level membership (CMIOSH).
- International Institute of Risk and Safety Managers (upon application)