NVQ Qualification Overview
The OCR Level 3 NVQ in Occupational Health and Safety is a qualification aimed at those whose job includes elements of health and safety at a practitioner level. Usually individuals whose duties include hazard spotting, producing and reviewing risk assessments, and identifying appropriate control measures and safe systems of work. Therefore the candidate should have some responsibility for the health, safety and welfare of others.
Health and Safety Officers and Supervisors charged with such tasks will identify and develop the necessary skills to undertake these activities and will demonstrate their competence and knowledge throughout the range of units required to gain this qualification. They should have a reasonable degree of authority and autonomy and have access to supportive management in their organisation.
They also need to have the opportunity to research information to assist them in their job role and to implement their recommendations.
The full award at Level 3 in Occupational Health and Safety requires candidates to complete seven units, which consists of 5 Mandatory and 2 Optional units.
The competencies, skills and knowledge are described in the unit titles shown below.
NVQ Course Units
OCR Level 3 NVQ/SVQ in Occupational Health and Safety – Mandatory units reference
- HSS1 — Make sure your own actions reduce risks to health and safety
- HSS2 — Develop procedures to safety control work operations
- HSS3 — Monitor procedures to safety control work operations
- HSS4 — Promote a health and safety culture within the workplace
- HSS6 — Conduct a health and safety assessment of a workplace
Optional NVQ Units
2 optional units of the candidate’s choice are required.
- HSS5 — Investigate and evaluate incidents and complaints in the workplace
- HSS7 — Make sure your own actions within the workplace aim to protect the environment
- HSS8 — Review health and safety procedures in workplaces
- HSS9 — Supervise the health, safety and welfare of a learner in the workplace
NVQ Qualification Duration
3 – 24 Months (average completion time 7 – 9 Months)
Membership to Professional bodies
Candidates may apply to the International Institute of Risk and Safety Management for membership at Associate level “AIIRSM”.